Our clients purchased the original home in the early 1990’s as a vacation home with the long term intent to renovate as a full time residence. The property, located on Gabriola Island is south facing with spectacular views of Pylades Channel, Valdez, Mudge, Decourcey and Link islands. The original home was built in the early 1970’s as a Mid Century Modern builder’s special. This style of home was very popular in North America during the ’60’s and 70’s. Characterized by the open floor plan, vaulted ceilings, exposed beams, and lots of windows to allow for abundant natural light. In particular, clerestory windows and the low sloped roof are trademark design characteristics of the Mid Century Modern home. Read more about this authentic renovation on our blog.
Radical Renovation to existing house & new garage build
Mid Century Modern
1,856 sq.ft (old) 2,348 sq.ft. (new)
- The original house was built on the edge of a rock bluff overlooking Pylades
Channel. The home has unobstructed gulf island views and southern exposure.
Renovating had the advantage that we did not have to conform to todayʼs
stringent 100m building set back requirements.
- The new design is respectful and remains in keeping with the original home, an
authentic Mid Century Modern Builders Special.
- The extension of the interior living space claimed the existing, covered side
deck. Additional covered deck space was added to enable comfortable, year
round outdoor relaxation.
- Steel rods drilled through solid 12”x12” Douglas Fir columns on the side deck
were installed as a cross brace to provide seismic strength. They give a desired
- An existing 25,000 gallon, concrete cistern was in good condition. Its use is
continued as it stores rainwater collected from the roof. The cistern works
perfectly as the soul source for water for the entire house.
- Typically used in as a commercial product Swiss Pearl ™ siding panels are the
primary cladding material. This cladding system is unique, attractive, easy to
install, durable and low maintenance.
- The open plan living space provides casual comfort.
- Large-scale French doors with flanking fixed door panels open onto decks and
provide expansive views from the interior. The modern fenestration patterning is
similar to an engineered curtain wall system but with a very economical price tag.
- Arbutus wood floors throughout the main floor are durable and make use of a
local wood source unique to the West Coast.
- A two-sided, gas fireplace provides a friendly greeting at the front door and a
warm focal point to the living room.